Using essential oils shouldn’t be so confusing or overwhelming.
In this Essential Oils for Beginners Cheat Sheet, you’ll gain more clarity on
the different ways you can use essential oils.
1. Diffusing Essential Oils
This is one of the most popular ways to use essential oils. It's easy, fun, and makes your space smell amazing. Here are some tips to make sure you are diffusing essential oils safely.
1. Vary the essential oils that you use; don't use the same oils every day.
2. Put your diffuser on a timer for 1 hour or less.
3. Start by using 1-3 drops of essential oils, but you can add more if you think your space needs more.
4. If you are diffusing oils around kids, make sure that they are kid-safe. You can find our age recommendation on our product pages and on our essential oil bottle labels.
5. If you are diffusing around pets, check to see if that oil is generally considered safe to diffuse around your pet. We put this information on our product pages. Then introduce the oil to your pet with the cap on. See how he or she reacts. If it's a positive reaction, try it in the diffuser with the door open. That way your pet can leave if the aroma causes distress.
2. Essential Oils for Skin Care
Essential oils are concentrated. If you use them directly on your skin, they are likely to cause irritation. To use essential oils safely on your skin, they first need to be diluted. To dilute an essential oil, put a few drops into a carrier oil.
A carrier oil is a vegetable or seed oil that can safely dilute an essential oil. They are rich in amazing benefits that partner with essential oils for powerful results. Diluting an essential oils makes it safe to put on your skin, gives you more benefits, and helps make your oils go a long way. You can see some common dilution measurements on the next page.
3. Essential Oils for Cleaning
Essential oils are created by plants for a variety of reasons. One of the reasons is to protect themselves from harmful germs. That's why so many essential oils are good at killing germs. Along with smelling great, essential oils are a toxin-free way to clean your home. Essential oils can be used in cleaning sprays, laundry detergents, soaps, and more to make your home clean without harsh chemicals. To learn how to make your own cleaning recipes, be sure to check out our Blog.
4. Essential Oils for Bath Products
Another popular way to use essential oils is to make your own luxurious bath products. When using essential oils in a bath it's important to dilute them first, otherwise moderate to severe skin irritation can occur.
Using about 3 drops of essential oil in a tablespoon of carrier oil will be enough to make an amazing scented bath. You can also use essential oils to create therapeutic bath salts, shower steamers, and bath bombs or to add benefits to shampoos, conditioners, soaps, and lotions.
5. Essential Oils for Wellness
Essential oils don't replace the advice or treatment given by a doctor. They are best used to support overall emotional and physical wellness by diffusing them or using them on your skin. Oils with calming aromas can help soothe stress.
Other oils can help give you energy or help you wind down after a long day. Some oils can soothe muscular and joint aches. If you are on any medication, pregnant, or breastfeeding, be sure to talk to your doctor before using essential oils to support your wellness.